THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO JOINED US AT ARTS FEST 2014 on Saturday, June 14, 2014 from 10-4pm. Arts Fest Beverly is a free outdoor festival that's fun for the whole family - including over 100 juried fine artists and crafters, music and entertainment, kids' activities, art-on-the-spot creations and food trucks. Arts Fest is rain or shine - in case of bad weather the artists set up inside downtown locations.
By all measures, Arts Fest Beverly was a huge success this year! We were lucky that the rain moved out early and thousands of people came out to shop and buy from our juried artists and fine crafters, make their own art masterpieces and enjoy great music and kids’ activities.
Arts Fest happens because we have an amazing team of volunteers who plan the event for 8 months, then on the day of the event they show up at 6am to set up, clean up and do every job in between. This year, our committee was led by Kathleen Moore and Heather Wolsey. Tireless committee members included Joanna Scaparotti, Deanna Pierpan, Suzie LaMont, Sandra Griffel, Jan Preston, Gayel Cote, Kelly Johnson, Savery Kelley and Tracy Valletti.
At the festival, a hundred little jobs need to be done to make sure everything goes smoothly. Our volunteers kept the food court clean, put signs around town, carried heavy tables, helped vendors set up their canopies, took photos, sold raffle tickets and even directed the limo of a bride who got married in the middle of the day at St. Mary’s. Thank you to Joyce Moore, Nancy Putnam, Brad Jones, Mary Lou Ferriero, Amy Fafard, Susan and Andrew Whitelocks, Jacquie Spector, Caitlin Duggan, Eileen Duggan, Mary Grant, Julia Campbell, Day Ann Kelley, Brenda Murphy, Alyse Klappenbach, Irene Christ, Pat Allen, Georgia Bills, Steve Galante, Amanda Hynes, Donna Musumeci, Dan Boschen, Charlie Boschen, Jessica Susan, Greg Bishop, Margot Rogers, Joyce Tat, Tara Zraunig, Adam Bates, John Farrell, Julie Chechik, Tim Short, Keanu Burke, Charles Nastasi, Gayla Bartlett, Sue Goganian, Nick Zarkades, Terese Trapani, Steve and Barbara Sanborn, Jo Broderick, Laddie Weld, Dalton Young, Paulette Fraizer, Larry Ralph, Dan Brosnan, Joe Zelloe, Jack Zelloe, Cheryl and Tony Sydorko, Dan DeAngelis, Mindelynn Young and Craig Hovey.
Our annual kickoff party to celebrate the artists, our sponsors and volunteers was held at the Walter J. Manninen Center for the Arts at Endicott College, a perfect setting for an arts festival party! Dr. Richard Wylie and Kathleen Moore were gracious hosts for the evening which also serves as the opening reception of the summer-long Arts Fest Beverly Community Art Exhibit. This inspiring exhibition showcases work by artists who live, work or study in Beverly. Check www.endicott.edu for details and hours. We also introduced Leighton O’Connor, our Arts Fest featured artist for 2014. Leighton’s photography is a highlight of the exhibition and not to be missed!
Arts Fest relies on community sponsors to fund the event. This year, our major “Masterpiece” sponsors were TD Bank (America’s most convenient bank!) and Endicott College. “Van Gogh-Getter” sponsors included Beverly Hospital, Beverly Bank, Brookwood Financial Partners, City of Beverly, Dunkin Donuts/Serpa Family, Goldberg Properties, Salem Five, Windover Construction, Eastern Bank, Marblehead Bank, R & L Associates, YMCA of the North Shore, Glovsky & Glovsky and North Shore Bank. “Show Me the Monet” sponsors include the Beverly Rotary Club and Wicked Art Bar. “Picasso’s Patrons” included Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, DiBiase Homes, Landmark School and The Salem News. Friends of Arts Fest were Art Supplies Wholesale, Gentle Dental, Jubilee Yacht Club, Siemasko + Verbridge, St. John the Evangelist School, Temkin Financial Group, Walter J. Manninen Center for the Arts at Endicott College, and the Waring School. Our major in-kind sponsors included Andy Bablo, BevCam, Beverly Recreation Department, Casa de Moda, CCI Reprographics, Dane Street Church, First Baptist Church, Greater Beverly YMCA, Henry’s Wine Cellar, Herman A. Spear Post 331, Jacquie Spector Photography, John Archer / Archer Insurance, Lampert’s Sportswear, Maria’s Pizza, Montserrat College of Art, Plum Consignment, Todd’s Sporting Goods and Ward’s Florist.
And finally, thanks to the community for coming out and enjoying Arts Fest Beverly!
Arts Fest 2014 Performance Schedule on Cabot Street
- 10:00 – 4:00 DJ Lanie Mac
- 11:00 – 11:30 Briscoe Bellas all girls a cappella performance
- 12:00 – 12:30 Magic Show by Stephanie Beach
- 1:00 – 1:30 Cape Ann Improv
- 2:00 – 2:30 Magic Show Encore by Stephanie Beach
- 3:00 – 3:30 Greg Coles – Picante Soul, a Band for Dancers
Arts Fest 2014 Food Vendors (located in the outdoor food court in the parking lot on Pond Street behind Brown's Bikes):
- Anmol India
- Hot Dog Jamboree
- Taqueria La Victoria
- The Wild Horse
- Winfrey’s Fudge
- Atomic Cafe (outside by their store on Cabot St)
- Restaurants and coffee shops in the Arts Fest area will also be open
More Fun Things to Do at Arts Fest 2014
NEW: Limited edition T-shirts featuring Leighton O’Connor’s stunning photograph of a Friendship sloop racing by Beverly's Hospital Point lighthouse will be sold at the Beverly Main Streets tent in front of Archer Insurance. For only $25, you can buy a T-shirt to help support Arts Fest!
Raffle tickets will be on sale at the Beverly Main Streets tent. Support Arts Fest with a chance to win a basket of fine arts and crafts donated by our Arts Fest artists!
- 10:00 – 4:00 Free Kids’ Activities at Ellis Square
- 10:00 – 12:00 103.3 Amp Radio “Hip Trips” with free games and prizes
- 11:00 – 1:00 “Balloons by Brian” free balloon animals at Ellis Square
- 12:00 – 1:00 Mix 104.1 Ice Cream Truck with free ice cream samples
“Art on the Spot” Activities
- NEW: Stop by Wicked Art Bar's "Wicked Quick Art!" tent and create your own painting on an 8x10 canvas! Free, fast and fun painting lessons all day. Recommended for kids ages 8+ and adults.
- Free screen printed tote bags by Montserrat College of Art at Ellis Square
- DIY sidewalk chalk drawings at Ellis Square
- NEW: Mingo Gallery and Custom Framing will be hosting a free book making workshop with Cory Wasnewsky, recent graduate of Montserrat and owner of Three Cheers Press. Cory will be on site from 11-2 (or while supplies last) doing a demo on basic book binding.
Before or After Arts Fest 2014, enjoy other downtown events:
- 8 – 4 Annual Home Improvement Tent Sale at Designer Bath and Salem Plumbing Supply (97 River St)
- 12 – 2 Beverly Bike Committee Bike Drive (Beverly Common)
- 4 – 8 Furniture Institute of Massachusetts Graduation and Open House (116 Water St)
Arts Fest 2014 Map
Click here for a printable map
Reserve your 2014 Arts Fest T Shirt! Limited edition T shirts featuring Leighton O'Connor's photo of the Hospital Point Lighthouse are available for only $25 for both men's and women's sizes. Click here for the order form.
Click here for a copy of our 2014 brochure that will be featured in area vistor centers! Funded, in part, by the Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism. This brochure was made possible by a grant administered by the North of Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau.